Please note the successful candidates will be appointed within the salary bracket and the location is flexible with access to a range of regional offices across England.
The Ministry of Justice is a major government department, at the heart of the justice system. We work to protect and advance the principles of justice. Our vision is to deliver a world-class justice system that works for everyone in society. The organisation works together and with other government departments and agencies to bring the principles of justice to life for everyone in society. From our civil courts, tribunals and family law hearings to criminal justice, prison and probation services. We work to ensure that sentences are served, and offenders are encouraged to turn their lives around and become law-abiding citizens. Three of the posts are working for the MOJ with the fourth post appointed within the Home Office (but still part of the tax CoE) on Home Office terms & conditions.
The Tax Centre of Excellence (CoE) was the first CoE to be established and is a central resource for tax advice and services available to government departments. The CoE is made up of the tax teams of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Home Office (HO), supported by the Ministry of Defence and the Department for Health and Social Care.
These are specialist roles to deliver an expert and professional tax advice service - producing, clarifying and advising on VAT/tax policy and compliance, interpreting and preparing guidance and providing clear communications on technical issues which are often challenging and complex in nature. Taking a strategic lead to how services are delivered, you will engage and collaborate with colleagues across Government departments including HM Revenue and Customs and HM Treasury driving continuous improvements in tax compliance.
The responsibilities of the Tax and Project Lead will include
- Working collaboratively and leading by example across the Tax Centre of Excellence teams on cross government and HMRC initiatives. Taking a strategic view on tax CoE delivery of cross government tax advisory services as well as delivering continuous improvement are key. You will play an integral part in driving forward the future operating model for the tax CoE in line with the Government Finance strategic framework
- Building effective relationships across a wide range of stakeholders and having regular government department communication, establishing and maintaining a tax community across the sector and raising awareness of key tax issues
- Be project leaders to improve systems and processes in line with tax global principles, ensuring controls and best practice are in place to maintain a strong level of taxation compliance across MoJ, DWP, Home Office and the wider government department sector
- Responsibility for managing relationships with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of future tax CoE aims and objectives
- Lead on producing, clarifying and advising on complex and challenging VAT and tax compliance, providing clear communications and guidance across government
- Increase capability and upskilling – working as part of the centre of excellence, share best practice across the public sector, providing fit for purpose training and ensuring tax is not considered in isolation
Key Skills & Experience
- A strong working knowledge, track record, experience and understanding of either personal tax, business tax, or VAT
- Successful track record leading on continuous tax improvements in both process and compliance including effective up-skilling
- Confidence in challenging and influencing senior stakeholders
- Good stakeholder and engagement skills with the ability to build and facilitate successful working relationships with both internal and external customers
- Effective communication skills including the ability to translate complex rules into guidance that can be understood across the business and discipline
- Ability to assimilate complex information from both internal and external sources and to provide accurate, complete and timely advice and guidance
- Ability to manage competing priorities, delivering high quality work to demanding timescales
- A willingness to develop further expert knowledge in Tax and VAT, Finance and Government Departments
- A good understanding of tax and VAT within Government Departments and Oracle systems and accounting would be useful, but not a necessity
- An experienced finance professional (qualification is desirable but not essential) but must be willing to extend skills and knowledge across taxation
For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.
Share this job