Variety, the Children’s Charity is partnering exclusively with Robertson Bell to recruit to a Head of Finance and Operations on a permanent, full-time basis. Variety is a grant-giving charity that provides practical, tangible, direct help that makes an immediate difference to children and young people, as well as their parents and families.
We do this through funding wheelchairs, specialist equipment, adapted accessible transport in the form of our Sunshine Coaches and memorable experiences through our Variety Great Days Out programme. We aim to help children have fewer bad days and more great days by facilitating their independence, freedom, dignity, and greater self-esteem, so helping them to make the most of their childhood. Our focus is on supporting children aged 18 and under.
The key responsibilities will be:
- Confidently lead on all aspects of financial planning, management, reporting and compliance.
- Support the Chief Executive with financial forecasts and business modelling.
- Lead the management and operation of our Head Office premises to ensure compliance with legal, health and safety and other requirements. This will include maximising efficient use of all spaces and identify opportunities for additional income.
- Ensure effective systems and controls are in place that safeguard the management of company finances.
- Supervise the work of our internal finance manager and ensure the timely preparation of reports for the Chief Executive, trustees, and auditors.
- Lead the development of robust financial processes and procedures that prioritise efficiency, profitability, and financial stability.
- Produce accurate quarterly management accounts including P&L, balance sheet and cash flow forecasts for the Chief Executive, Audit, Finance and Risk Committee and the Variety Board.
- Oversee the smooth completion of the annual audit liaising closely with our auditors and internal finance manager and other staff.
- Communicate and negotiate with senior stakeholders on finance, property, and business development.
- Oversee HR processes including recruitment, contracts, staff development and disciplinary.
- Directly supervise the IT Manager and ensure the availability of Variety’s’ cloud-based IT systems and other related resources and manage the relationship with the external IT provider.
- Maintain Variety’s risk register and contribute to risk management for the organisation.
Variety in the UK is part of a global organisation, currently active in 17 different countries. Since setting up its UK division in 1949, the charity has raised close to £300 million, and supported countless children affected by disability and disadvantage. In the UK there are more than 1.3 million disabled children and young people and nearly four million children living in poverty. Variety, the Children’s Charity, exists to improve their lives.
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience at a senior level in the not-for-profit sectors.
- Recognised professional accounting qualification e.g., CCAB/CIMA accountancy qualification.
- Excellent financial leadership including setting and managing budgets, preparing management accounts, producing business analyses, and completing audits in line with SORP for a turnover of at least £1 million per annum.
- Experience of operational business planning and strategic financial management.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Experience of drafting financial plans/forecasts for fundraising and business proposals.
This position will be based officially at the head office in Camden, London however, we are willing to consider some flexible working as deemed appropriate. The closing date for applications is Sunday 4th July with first stage interviews taking place the week commencing 12th July. Applications will be under constant review before the closing date so please submit your application to our exclusive search agent Robertson Bell. Apply now to be considered!
Share this job