Please note the successful candidates will be appointed within the salary bracket and the location is flexible with access to a range of regional offices across England.
The Ministry of Justice is a major government department, at the heart of the justice system. We work to protect and advance the principles of justice. Our vision is to deliver a world-class justice system that works for everyone in society. The organisation works together and with other government departments and agencies to bring the principles of justice to life for everyone in society. From our civil courts, tribunals and family law hearings to criminal justice, prison and probation services. We work to ensure that sentences are served, and offenders are encouraged to turn their lives around and become law-abiding citizens.
The Tax Centre of Excellence (CoE) was the first CoE to be established and is a central resource for tax advice and services available to government departments. The CoE is made up of the tax teams of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and Home Office (HO), supported by the Ministry of Defence and the Department for Health and Social Care.
This role is to deliver taxation services and will provide an advisory, support and delivery function. This role will support the drive for continuous improvement as well as ensuring the completion of mandatory returns and assurance of tax compliance.
The responsibilities of the Tax Specialist will include
- Deliver taxation services and compliance reviews, actively seeking continuous improvement, engaging with key stakeholders
- Providing high quality, timely advice, guidance and active assistance on taxation related matters, to assist decision-making and operational effectiveness
- Building effective relationships across a wide range of stakeholders including: budget holders, finance business partners, tax CoE colleagues across MoJ/HO/DWP, and tax CoE customers
- Ensuring systems and controls are in place to maintain a strong level of tax compliance and assurance
- Undertaking technical project work in relation to change initiatives, projects and contracts so that any tax impact is clearly identified and known early
- Actively contribute to the cross-Government programme of work to make the best use of tax expertise across Government
- Maintain / develop our OneFinance website
Key Skills & Experience
- The post holder must have a working knowledge and understanding of tax/VAT
- Some finance experience and a willingness to develop further expert knowledge in tax and finance within Government Departments
- Ability to build and facilitate successful working relationships with both internal and external customers
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to translate complex rules into guidance that can be understood across the business and disciplines, influence and challenge senior stakeholders
- Ability to assimilate complex information from both internal and external sources and to provide accurate, complete and timely advice and guidance
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work to demanding timescales
- Some knowledge of tax within Government Departments, especially regarding status determination
- An experienced finance professional (qualification is desirable but not essential) but must be willing to extend skills and knowledge across finance/taxation
- Good spreadsheet and data manipulation skills
For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.
Share this job