Kidney Research UK is partnering exclusively with Robertson Bell to recruit to a head of finance role on a permanent, full time basis. Kidney Research UK is the largest charity dedicated to kidney research in the UK and their vision is to free lives from kidney disease. With a head office based in Peterborough, this brilliant charity is now seeking a new head of finance to join their team in this key role.
Kidney Research UK fund research into all aspects of kidney disease, from understanding the condition, to how they can prevent and treat it. The charity’s mission is to discover better and kinder treatments. Kidney disease still affects three million people in the UK and one million of those don’t know they are at risk. Kidney Research UK is here to be heard, to make a difference, to change the future and to end kidney disease.
The key responsibilities will be:
- Work closely with the executive directors to develop the charity’s financial strategy to deliver the recently updated charity strategy.
- Manage, motivate, and develop the finance team to realise their full potential.
- Support the executive directors and trustees in financial decision making.
- Lead the annual statutory accounts preparation and independent audit and contribute to the Annual Report.
- Provide technical expertise to the finance team and wider charity and ensure adequate systems and controls are in place and operating effectively to minimise risks.
- Identify improvements in procedures, processes, and policies.
- Develop the charity’s rolling forecast and budget and oversee the management and planning of cash/investments.
- Provide legacy case management oversight and review legal contracts’ terms and assist with commercial negotiations oversight.
- Maintain a clean annual audit report, and accurate statutory accounts reflecting the management accounts.
Kidney Research UK have four key values which underpin everything they do.
- Ambition. To achieve more. Sooner. We want to make change happen bigger, faster and
bolder than ever before, grounded in the hopes and needs of the kidney community.
- Bravery. We’re not afraid to stand up to be counted. We’re going to expect more of ourselves, of the Government, of the NHS, of our researchers.
- Passion. We care and we want the kidney and research communities to know that we do. Our passion comes across in our actions, desire for change and determination to do better by people suffering from kidney disease.
- Urgency. Every day brings added misery and pain to more people as the number of kidney disease diagnoses rise. Too many lives continue to be ruined. We have to step in and help right now.
This head of finance position would be based at Peterborough. Managing a team of four, this head of finance will need to live a commutable distance from the office so they can meet the minimum expectation of two or three days working in the office. Working from home on the remaining days will be offered.
The successful candidate will:
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Experience in a senior finance role
- Experience of managing and developing small teams
- Experience of effective use and development of finance systems and reporting tools
- Knowledge of terms of legal contracts and experience of contract/commercial negotiations
- Ability to think strategically and plan accordingly
- Ability to provide meaningful and actionable positive and corrective feedback to others
- Great interpersonal skills
Previous charity experience is desirable but in no way essential.
The closing date for applications is 23 May with first stage interviews taking place the week commencing 31 May. Applications will be under constant review before the closing date so please submit your application to our exclusive search agent Robertson Bell. Apply now to be considered!
Share this job
Please apply to our vacancies as early as possible. Job opportunities can sometimes close at short notice and we wouldn’t want you to miss out