The National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) are partnering exclusively with Robertson Bell to recruit a Finance Manager on an initial 18-month Fixed Term Contract to lead the organisation’s finance function through an exciting period of change.
NFCC is primarily a membership organisation, which holds charitable status, and exists to provide support to its members who are the most senior employees of the UK Fire and Rescue Service. The charitable objects of the Council, as set out in the Articles of Association, are to reduce the loss of life, personal injury and damage to property, and the environment, by improving the quality of firefighting, rescue, fire protection and fire prevention in the United Kingdom.
The aim of the Council is to support members to fulfil their leadership role in improving the wellbeing of local communities in all matters relating to FRS activities.
Reporting into the Head of Corporate Services, the Finance Manager will ensure the smooth running of the finance department, from not only an operational perspective but also provide support to the Senior Management Team, amongst other stakeholders, on strategic decision making.
The key responsibilities will be:
- Overseeing day-to-day financial operations; ensuring robust controls, timely preparation of accounts and maintenance of systems, as well as managing two direct reports.
- Ensure efficient financial management, preparing management accounts as well as monitoring budgets and forecasts, working closely with budget holders to highlight variances and provide insightful updates which ensure effective use of resources.
- Lead on the year-end audit process, preparing and submitting the statutory accounts, and acting as the key point of contact for external auditors.
- Provide accurate, robust and timely reports to financial and non-financial stakeholders including the SLT and Board, allowing for informed decision making.
- Undertake constant review of financial processes, procedures, and systems, identifying and implementing improvements where possible.
- Keep abreast of changes in financial regulations and legislation to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements as relating to Company and Charity Law.
- Work closely with the Head of Corporate Services to set the organisation’s annual budget.
- Manage banking arrangements, correspondence and maintain bank mandates.
- Prepare VAT and other Tax returns.
- Provide financial input into, and oversee, contractual management (projects, employees, secondees, contractors, consultants and venues).
- Deliver payroll and pension information to external administrators.
Essential requirements are:
- Recent experience working in a similar role, which encompasses both financial accounting and financial management, within the Charity sector.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders up to Board level.
- Budget management experience and ensuring compliance with SORP accounting guidelines, and any other sector-specific standards.
- Experience leading and managing all aspects of a finance function, and team.
- At least part qualification in a CCAB or equivalent accountancy qualification.
This is an urgent requirement meaning that applications are being reviewed upon receipt so, please do not hesitate to submit your CV now if you are interested in this role and hold the required experience, as this position is likely to be filled prior to the advert close date.
At present, this role will be worked fully remotely however, may require occasional travel into Birmingham or London.
Share this job