Have you been in fundraising for a while? Contemplating your next role, or planning a move in the near future?
I often get asked by candidates looking to take the next step in their fundraising career for advice on how best to construct and present their cv to highlight their key strengths and attributes and importantly which skills and experiences are most frequently sought after. If you’re thinking about your next move, I hope you find some of my top tips helpful;
Experience is key. This will vary on the size of organisation to which you are applying, but most likely you will need:
- Experience of managing a team of people
- Evidence of strategic planning, being able to set direction and stick to it
- Ability to see a project through from plan to completion
- Being a good communicator – written and verbal
- Evidence of empowering teams and delivering results
- The ability to motivate your peers
- Ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues across other teams
Experience in all the key areas (Partnership, Major Donor, Individual Giving, Legacy, Grants/Trusts, Community and Events) is usually desirable but not essential depending on the size of the organisation. Do take the opportunity to get involved in as many areas as possible when the opportunity arises.
- Influential and persuasive
- Great leadership skills
- Enthusiasm, Flexibility, Emotional Intelligence
Tips to help you further your fundraising career:
- Map out your ambitions
- Know your capabilities and build on your skills and experience to fill the gaps
- Develop your leadership and management skills
- Develop your budgeting skills
- Network with your peers and industry contacts
- Build a strong team around you
- Be accountable for your decisions
- Be responsible for your personal development
- Be prepared to take calculated risks and learn from your mistakes
Most importantly, keep focused on your donors – they are your key people.
If you would like further advice, don’t hesitate to drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To browse fundraising job opportunities do take a look at our website www.robertsonbell.co.uk